Warm up this month with this healthy and easy Fall recipe for Butternut Squash Bisque. A delicious puree of butternut squash and sweet potatoes spiced with pumpkin pie spice, nutmeg and fresh ginger, this is sure to be a perfect Fall dinner for the whole family.
- 1/3 Tbsp olive or vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup yellow onion diced
- 1/2 cup celery finely sliced
- 1/4 cup carrot shredded
- 2 Tbsp ginger root peeled and minced
- 6 cups low sodium vegetable broth
- 1 1/2 cup sweet potatoes peeled and diced
- 1 1/2 cup butternut squash peeled, seeded, and diced
- 1 tsp pumpkin pie spice
- 1 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1/4 tsp ground black pepper
- 1/8 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/8 tsp thyme
- Pumpkin seeds (optional)
- In stockpot over medium-high heat, heat oil. Add onion, celery, carrot and ginger root. Saute until onion is translucent, 3 to 5 minutes.
- Add remaining ingredients. Bring to boil. Reduce heat. Simmer until squash is tender, 20 to 25 minutes.
- In blender, process soup on medium speed until smooth, 3 to 5 minutes.
- Strain through China cap (look for a 12" fine strainer).
- Garnish with pumpkin seeds (optional).
Nutrition Facts (serves 8)
Calories: 90 kcal
Total Fat: 3 g
Saturated Fat: 0 g
Cholesterol: 0 mg
Sodium: 390 mg
Total Carb: 15 g
Dietary Fiber: 3 g
Protein: 2 g