Give your breakfast a little kick! This easy and healthy breakfast recipe takes a morning staple - oatmeal - and elevates it to another level, southwest style. With some salsa and fresh avocado, and topped with a fried egg, this breakfast is sure to start your morning off on the right note and keep you full till lunch.
Serving Size: Serves 4
- 4 cups water
- 1 pinch salt
- 2 cups Quaker Kettle Hearty® oats
- 3/4 cup salsa divided into 1/2 cup & 1/4 cup
- 4 ea eggs fried sunny side up or over easy
- 1 ea avocado peeled, seeded and diced (1 cup)
- Chopped cilantro or green onions (optional)
- In heavy large saucepan, bring water and salt to a brisk boil. Stir in oats; return to boil. Reduce heat; simmer 8 minutes, stirring occasionally. Let stand covered for 30 minutes.
- Stir 1/2 cup of the salsa into the oatmeal. Top each serving with a fried egg, 1/4 cup diced avocado and 1 tablespoon of the remaining salsa. Garnish with a sprinkling of cilantro or green onion if desired.
- Calories: 290kcal
- Total Fat: 13g
- Saturated Fat: 3g
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Cholesterol: 185mg
- Sodium: 400mg
- Total Carb: 34g
- Dietary Fiber: 7g
- Sugars: 3g
- Protein: 13g